Thursday, April 14, 2016

2016 International bento contest - Sweet Tooth Bento

#351

I prepared this bento lunch for my boy with the intention to submit for the International bento contest organised by Bento & Co.  The theme for the year 2016 is 'Sweet Tooth Bento'.  And the criteria is a classic bento preparation with a main dish and a desert or any sweet dish in the bento box.  I have seen many gorgeous creation for the past years' contests but did not have the courage to submit mine.  What caught my eyes was to prepare a classic bento!  A traditional bento holds rice, meat, fish, pickled or cooked vegetables in a box shaped container per Wikipedia.  And I think I can pull it off.   I told my boy that it was a sweet tooth bento.  He commented "There's no sweets.  Just healthy sweets (treats)."  Guess he expected some real candies in the box ;))

My bento box consisted of white rice topped with seaweed furikake, boiled broccoli, teriyaki chicken breast, steamed kabocha (Japanese pumpkin) with mirin and soya sauce, a checker apple wedge, yellow/red cherry tomatoes and lastly, a California prune for the sweet tooth.  

Have you submitted yours? 

No comments: